[DCRM-L] statement of extent for artist's book

silvanan at mptek.net silvanan at mptek.net
Wed Jan 31 13:21:21 MST 2018

Hello there,
One of my tasks at work is to catalog artist's books and even though
some fall outside of the conventional description for a codex-style book
(i.e pages, volume, etc.), we still use the books record format for
them. Using RDA rule 3.4.6.2 as a basis,  I was considering adopting "1
artist's book" as a general statement of extant, with details given in a
500 note, for titles that are not book shaped. However, I don't see this
much in practice and treatment of artist's books seems to vary by
institution. I guess my question is, does anyone see a potential issue
with this approach, and what would you recommend if you do?

-Silvana