[DCRM-L] statement of extent for artist's book

Margaret F. Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 31 14:28:41 MST 2018

I'm not an expert on artists' books, but I can think of a couple of possible issues with cataloging one of them as a 3-dimensional form in keeping with RDA 3.4.6.2, instead of as a book. One is that if people think of it as an artist's *book*, they'll probably be looking for it as a book. Another is that if the item you're cataloging is treated as realia and most other artists' books are treated as books, a patron doing a search for all the artists' books in the library will likely limit the search to books, and your item will get overlooked. I'm sure there are artists' books that seem more like sculptures than like books, though, and an art museum might well catalog them as sculptures, while a library would consider them to be books. Being a rare book librarian, cataloging items for a rare book collection, I would treat them as books, as long as they are focused on printed text and they meet the RDA definition of a monograph ("A resource that is complete in one part or intended to be completed within a finite number of parts").

Two cents, and good luck wishes,

Margaret Nichols

Margaret F. Nichols
Rare Materials Cataloging Coordinator
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
2B Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5302
Tel. (607) 255-9667