[DCRM-L] Devised titles in DCRM(MSS): required components conundrum

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:16:40 MDT 2018

Can someone please help me see what I'm missing? DCRM(Manuscripts) appears
to have contradictory instructions on devised titles...

1B1.2.1 says there are two required components in a devised title: Form or
Genre, and Creator (if known).

But both both required components are missing from 1B5, which says to use
the first line of a work in verse as the title, if it lacks a formal title.

The example in 1B5 says:
Oh God! whose dread and dazzling brow
*Note:* Title from first line of hymn

If the required elements are included,it seems it would have to be
something like:
Hymn by William Cullen Bryant beginning Oh God! whose dread and dazzling
brow

The instructions at 1B1.1 say that the *order *of required components isn't
prescribed, unless rules for specific types of manuscript say otherwise.
What about their presence in the first place?

Thanks,

Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323