[DCRM-L] Recording digitized books

Michael Beer Michael.Beer at bsb-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 26 08:58:07 MDT 2018

Hi everybody,

I'm a new member on the list, working at the Bavarian State Library in Munich, Germany, and I would like to ask a question regarding the cataloging of digitized books.

The German libraries are reviewing their practice of cataloging digitized resources.
Some German libraries have problems with the RDA-rules for digitized books, especially regarding the publication statement. They would prefer the "old" practice of also recording the publication statement of the original resource in the record for the digitization.

Before deciding on this topic we would be very interested to know how other communities treat digitized books, especially Anglo-American libraries.

Looking at various catalogs I got the impression that there are two different ways of recording digitizations.

1. No record for the digitization is created. Some information (URL etc.) for the digitization are added to the record of the printed book.

2. A separate record for the digitized resource is produced whose publication statement is the same as the original resource.

I hardly could find separate records with an edition statement following RDA (e.g. year of digitization is recorded as year of publication)

Can your confirm this, or did I get a wrong impression? Francis Lapka, who recommended this list for my question, already provided me with useful information about the practice at Yale but I would be most grateful if I could get further information on the practice of other libraries in that respect.

Best,
Michael

Michael Beer
Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
Abt. Bestandsentwicklung und Erschließung 1
Stabsreferat Formalerschließung
Ludwigstr. 16
80539 München

Mail: Michael.Beer at bsb-muenchen.de