[DCRM-L] litho-engraving?

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Fri Nov 16 12:41:10 MST 2018

I have in hand an amusing set of cards that parody carte de visite photographs, perhaps made during the 1860s (given the subject matter). The V&A has some too, including this charming puss:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O589018/not-the-only-puss-that-satirical-print-rock-co/

For materials and techniques, the V&A calls this a "litho-engraving," a term I haven't encountered before, and one I don't see in standard sources such as Gascoigne. What does it mean? Is it intended to mean a lithographic reproduction of an intaglio print? To my eye the lines look plausibly etched (under a loop), but I recognize that this look could be mimicked.

Francis

Francis Lapka  *  Senior Catalogue Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203.432.9672  *  francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>