[DCRM-L] litho-engraving?

Ryan Hildebrand rhilde at uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 16 13:00:26 MST 2018

Hi Francis,

See Felix Brunner's Handbook of Graphic Reproduction Processes for a discussion of the technique (litho etching, too). Here is the essential bit: "the litho engraving lies halfway between planographic and intaglio printing. It is an imitation of copperplate engraving and etching and was developed during that phase of printing history when the lithographic technique permitted quicker and cheaper production than intaglio machines ... The engraving is done with sharp steel needles or with a drawing diamond..." -Ryan

Ryan Hildebrand
Authorities & Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Oregon Libraries
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299
(541) 346-1844