[DCRM-L] Correcting "columns" globally changed to "color" by mistake

Andrews, Susan susan.andrews at ubc.ca
Tue Oct 16 11:46:13 MDT 2018

Hi Everyone,
  Gordon (E. Gordon Van Pielt) and I have been in correspondence with Robert Bremmer about where OCLC stands on the fixing of the mistaken "color" in records for (mostly) early printed books.  Apparently OCLC staff are still in the process of fixing these records, and (as we have seen) they are starting with records with cataloguing language = English before they address catalogue records in other languages.

  Robert notes  the following 3 options, all acceptable, and none will be detrimental to the fixing process :
"Catalogers can 1) go ahead and correct the problem directly when possible, 2) report it, or 3) presume that OCLC will catch it and fix it within coming weeks and not bother to report it."

He further says "If I were in a library I would opt for number 3 since OCLC has working resolving the issue."  I think he means "is working to resolve the issue".

The option you choose is of course is totally up to each library to decide.  My own strategy will be to fix any record I need when I am at the point of cataloguing.  Others of you (like Gordon) may be using batches of OCLC records to populate local databases, so you may have other strategies you want to consider, like seeking out and fixing all those with your own holdings.  There are many local options to consider.

Hoping that this can provide you with what you need to make your own decisions!

Best, Sue.

Sue Andrews
Principal Cataloguer
University of British Columbia Library
2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Tel. 604-822-4995  Email: susan.andrews at ubc.ca