[DCRM-L] Indexing 510 locally

Hoover, Sarah sehoover at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 16 13:25:04 MDT 2018

Hello all,

Our institution is currently preparing for the release of a new discovery layer, and special collections cataloging staff have requested the addition of indexing for the 510 field. This topic has been discussed in the past, and our technical staff have raised several concerns. Two of their main concerns are the haphazard use of the 510 outside of special collections, which would lead to misleading results, and the potential confusion for inexperienced users who don't understand why these results are coming up in their title search and who may be overwhelmed by the number of results this indexing could create. They are not convinced that the need for indexing instead of simply displaying the 510 outweighs these drawbacks.

The staff designing the new discovery layer are asking for use cases to support indexing of the 510, and we have theoretical use cases but no specific examples of user stories where lack of indexing has been a problem to give them. Our research and instruction colleague had not realized the citations were not searchable, and did say that it would be beneficial for instruction prep research.

We were wondering whether there are any other institutions indexing the 510 in your local catalog. If so, have you gotten any user feedback about this feature? Did you have to advocate for it, and if so what helped make it successful? I found past discussions about advocating for 510 indexing in OCLC in the listserv archive, but not much discussion of local implementation.

Thank you for any comments and experience you can share!

Sarah

Sarah Hoover
Special Collections Cataloger
Wilson Special Collections Library