[DCRM-L] Fingerprint

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:33:33 MDT 2019

I'm part of an ALA group examining and commenting on the beta RDA toolkit. This upcoming version of RDA introduces the concept fingerprint (I don't believe it's been there before), with the following definition:

An identifier for manifestation that consists of a group of characters from specified locations in a manifestation combined with a date of publication or other element.
https://beta.rdatoolkit.org/RDA.Web/Content?externalId=en-US_ala-4267b9ea-5015-36eb-b56a-c66f4b104f6f#section_rdaId_c296f014-6db4-4509-9508-2e300c502751

First, do you think this is an accurate and adequate definition? Additionally, if you have a chance, I'd be interested if you have any comments on the guidelines (beyond the definition) for fingerprint in the beta version (link above [you may need to log into your RDA account], but also search "fingerprint" in the search box to find all mentions of the term in the beta RDA).

Thanks,
Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library