[DCRM-L] Fingerprint

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Wed Apr 10 16:30:47 MDT 2019

Hi Bob,

I recall that the RDA Rare Materials Working Group and the DCRM Task Force
discussed this back in 2017 but don't know the outcomes of those
discussions and am not speaking on their behalf. I also very rarely
encounter fingerprints in records and have never constructed one for a
catalog record. But perhaps the definition can be revised to indicate:

1. That fingerprints are constructed according to an established
fingerprint scheme
2. That fingerprints are primarily used for identification of early printed
resources.

MARC 026 field definition reads "Used to assist in the identification of
antiquarian books by recording information comprising groups of characters
taken from specified positions on specified pages of the book, in
accordance with the principles laid down in various published guidelines."

So, perhaps something like: "An identifier for manifestation that consists
of a group of characters taken from specified locations in a manifestation
combined with a date of publication or other elements according to an
established fingerprint scheme, and that is especially used to identify and
differentiate early printed resources."

Might the guidelines also indicate recording an identification of the
scheme used (e.g. MARC 026 $2 code) along with the fingerprint?

Matt

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger