[DCRM-L] Fingerprint

Robert Steele rosteele at law.gwu.edu
Thu Apr 11 05:18:45 MDT 2019

The definition from ISBD(A), draft 2006 revision, page 4:

A group of characters derived from a publication with the object of identifying
the edition uniquely.

A fuller description appears on page 88, with references to French and
Dutch versions of the formula (except that the Dutch version is a broken
link):

The fingerprint consists of a number of characters drawn from a number of
uniform places in the text of the publication, followed by a number
indicating the source of one or more of the characters and/or a letter
indicating
the direction of the chain-lines and/or the date as it appears in the
publication, etc., area.

Personally, I prefer the second version, and I'm not sure RDA's
"manifestation" or ISBD's "edition" is completely accurate, since a
fingerprint can help identify sub-manifestations (sub-editions) such as
issue or state.

http://www.ibmi.it/manuali/ISBD(A)_February2006.pdf

Robert Steele
Cataloging Librarian