[DCRM-L] Fingerprint

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Apr 12 13:29:51 MDT 2019

Of the two systems of fingerprints, the STCN is much better at reflecting
line-for-line reprints--that is, one edition set as identically *as
possible* from another, but with a level of attention to detail that would
not include forcing a signature to appear under exactly the same types in
the last line. Neither it, nor the Fingerprints--Empreintes--Impronte
system can differentiate issues of the same edition, and the latter cannot
even differentiate accurately set line-for-line reprints, since it depends
on the occurrence of types at the ends or beginnings of given lines. That
is to say: as a *fingerprint* the STCN method is far superior for books
with signatures--and the principles of composition are much easier to
understand.

The STCN is actually an instance of a method of detection that I was taught
in the 1970s, which might require recording the position of *every*
signature; useful in the days when comparing large numbers of copies might
otherwise involve a trunkful of photocopies, if photocopies could actually
be obtained.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>