[DCRM-L] "Typi ..." vs "Typis ..." for printing house in 110/410

Gemberling, Ted P tgemberl at uab.edu
Tue Dec 10 11:25:05 MST 2019

That's really interesting, the idea that Typis might mean "printing firm" by metonymy. That might explain the evidence Yang said she had found for it with that meaning. I agree it shouldn't generally be part of a corporate name. As I said on PCC, if someone actually put it above the door of their place of business, I might think differently. And sometimes we do know what people put on the door of their businesses, as in "Sign of the Boar's Head."

Ted Gemberling