[DCRM-L] Manuscript cataloguing questions

O'Brien, Iris Iris.O'Brien at bl.uk
Tue Feb 26 08:20:48 MST 2019

Dear All,

I am not familiar with manuscript cataloguing so I am hoping that the manuscript cataloguers among you will be able to answer the questions below that were sent to me by a Dutch colleague:

In the Dutch practice it is customary to enter the call number of the manuscript in the bibliographic record (and of course also in the 852 of the holding record). The point is to distinguish between unica, where the call number is the identifier.
The problem is that we cannot find a suitable MARC tag or subfield. OCLC has converted the call number/identifier to 245 $f, but that is improper use.

We have looked into several options:
-           Tag 090 (Locally assigned LC-type call number): not applicable. Also field 090 is not retained in the master record if field 050 contains a call number.
-           Tag 099 (Local free-text call number): field 099 does not remain in the master record.
-           Tag 524 (Preferred citation of described materials note): only text in  $a possible, no specific subfields. Also: field 524 is not indexed.
-           Tag 852 (Location): Field 852 does not remain in the master bibliographic record.
-           Tag 710 (Added entry – corporate name): specific subfield possible, e.g. 710 2#$aMontevergine (Abbey).$bBiblioteca.$kManuscript.$nScaffale XXIII, 171.
This option if often used in RDA/DCRMMSS records in WorldCat.

Our questions are: Is this custom known in the Anglo/American practice? If so, how is it applied? Or are there other ways to indicate the uniqueness of a manuscript?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Iris O’Brien

Iris O'Brien
Early Printed Collections Cataloguing and Processing Manager
The British Library
St Pancras
96 Euston Road
London
NW1 2DB
Tel.: +44 (0)20 7412 7731
E-mail: iris.o'brien at bl.uk

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster at bl.uk<mailto:postmaster at bl.uk> : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.