[DCRM-L] How to transcribe an abbreviation

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 10:37:31 MST 2019

As one of the editors of DCRM(G), I'd like to say a huge THANK YOU to Mary
for asking, and to Noah and Kim for answering, because there's a back story
here....

Before publication of DCRM(G), there had been pressure to remove the
instruction "always transcribe a period in an abbreviation at the end of
the abbreviation" alongside examples of superscripts that *follow* the
dot. I can't remember if it was at a BSC meeting or at the public hearing,
but I definitely remember having to make the case that the instruction was
necessary. It isn't in DCRM(B) or DCRM(S), and the DCRM principles say that
the same text used in previously-published modules must be used "unless
there is a material-specific reason" to deviate. The people who objected to
including it said it wasn't necessary, because people already know that
abbreviations end with a period, that it wasn't something "different" about
graphic materials, and it hardly ever comes up anyway. We argued that
although it hardly ever comes up with letterpress text, it comes up a
*lot *with
engraved and handwritten text, and we provided examples of the same
engraved abbreviation being transcribed with an internal dot and with a
terminal dot in different catalogs.

Long story short, this is me saying "I *told *you so!" to the nay-sayers
(and I can't remember who they were, so if anyone is feeling personally
slighted by my gloating, there's no need).

Cheers,

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  www.folger.edu