[DCRM-L] 8vo: another mass update gone awry?

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Jan 25 10:04:54 MST 2019

I believe that Noah has nailed the probable source as a BL batchload--I've
noticed a few, and that seems to be the context. My guess is that they
occur in records that have "8vo" as the *only* measurement in 300 $c -- as
a size, without dimensions, not a bibliographical format statement (so, for
instance, many a small 8vo ends up as as "12m0" or "16mo").

And yes, if the purpose of the 340 $m is to record a format known from
actual bibliographical analysis (which *can* be a bit trickier than the
various rules of thumb would indicate), then such wholesale translation of
a very different idea of "format" frustrates the purpose of the field.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>