[DCRM-L] compositors' errors[?] in Fasciculus temporum 1492

Jennifer Dunlap jrdunlap7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:25:43 MST 2019

Hi,

We just acquired a German edition of Rolevinck's Fasciculus temporum
printed by Prüss in 1492 (ISTC  ir00282000) and as I was cataloging it I
noticed that in one line of the dating given on leaves ii recto-xlv recto
there seems to be a compositor's error in that the text is set upside down
and backwards. At first I assumed it was an error, then after seeing it
happen leaf after leaf, I thought perhaps it was intentional, however from
leaf xlv verso on all the text seems to be set "correctly." Can anyone else
with a copy in their library confirm if this odd text setting occurs in
your copy as well? I have not seen the oddity mentioned in any of the
reference sources I have consulted (though I must admit that my German
palaeography skills are not quite up to snuff to make out the paragraph at
the end of the bibliographic citation in the GW record), nor have I been
able to locate any other scholarly articles or book chapters that mention
it. I will attach some images from our copy so you can see what I'm looking
at. Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this.

Best,
Jennifer

Jennifer Dunlap
Rare Books Project Cataloger