[DCRM-L] sequence consisting of a single misleadingly numbered page

Tue Jul 9 11:09:18 MDT 2019

Hi Noah,

First of all, count everything in terms of pages. See DCRM(B) 5B3.1: If unnumbered pages or leaves (printed or blank) are not included in a sequence of pagination or foliation, count them according to the terms used to describe the rest of the publication.

In situations like yours, I've used single quotation marks to indicate a single anomalously numbered page. So: 18, [5], 'viii' pages.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Noah Sheola
Sent: Tuesday, 09 July, 2019 11:20
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: [DCRM-L] sequence consisting of a single misleadingly numbered page

Hello all,
Say you have a sequence of 18 numbered pages, 2 unnumbered leaves (I am calling them leaves since they printed on one side only), 1 unnumbered page, and finally 1 page numbered "viii". How should I describe this? If I go with "18 pages, [2] leaves, [1], viii pages" it implies that there is a sequence of eight pages where there is actually just one.
Thanks,
Noah

--
Noah Sheola
Special Collections Cataloging Librarian