[DCRM-L] many, many misnumbered pages

Joan Milligan jmilligan1 at udayton.edu
Tue Jul 16 09:42:58 MDT 2019

Deborah,

First the pagination. It does not self-correct, so currently my 300 reads:

16 unnumbered pages, 334 [i.e. 323] pages, 29 unnumbered pages ; $b
illustration ; $c 21 cm (4o)

As for the u’s and v’s, you are right, it is: TRATADO BREVE DEL DVLCISSIMO
NOMBRE DE MARIA. Words on page [iii]: Cvmpliendo … con gusto … Reuerendo
Padre…” Both the u’s and v’s are roman, medial, and used as vowels.

I think where I get stuck is that I have been thinking about the letters’
use in the words. I mean, clearly the typesetter has both u’s and v’s, so
why use a “u” in “gusto” (a correct modern spelling), while also using it
in the word “Reueredno” (Reverendo)? And why use a “v” in ‘Cvmpliendo”
(Cumpliendo)? The use of the u’s and v’s are not consistent in my mind. Is
that all irrelevant? Just transcribe according to the rules and stop
overthinking?

Thank you for your help.=!

Joan

Joan Milligan