[DCRM-L] Collation Question

Jean Mongeau philippe.mongeau at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 16 13:47:20 MDT 2019

Dear DCRM-L Users,

I'm writing because I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm currently cataloging a 17th century edition of Callimachus's Pinakes, an octavo. In the first volume, one gathering (signed '2i') is interrupted after the 3rd leaf by 2 gatherings (signed 'dagger' and '2[dagger],' respectively) before picking up where it left off with the rest of gathering "2i". A printed "Note to the Binder" at the end of the volume suggests that this was intentional/consistent across volumes in this edition. I've been rummaging through Bowers, but I can't seem to find any guidance as to how to record this signature statement and was wondering if someone with more experience would be able to clarify. Please let me know!

Thank you so much in advance for your time and attention!

All best,

Philippe

Philippe Mongeau, M. I.
Florence Fearrington Rare Materials Cataloger
RARE BOOK SCHOOL at the University of Virginia
he/him/his
**Respectfully acknowledging that the land on which work is the traditional territories of the Monacan community.**