[DCRM-L] Complex Pagination

Dieckman, Christopher S [LIB] dieckman at iastate.edu
Wed Jul 17 09:40:23 MDT 2019

Hello all,
I am cataloging a book, and I am not sure how to best record the pagination. A digitized copy is available via Hathitrust<http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/37152946.html>.
The book consists of 30 leaves of text and 24 leaves of plates-the content for both variously appears on the recto or verso of the respective leaves. In addition, there are 23 blank leaves (not including three blank leaves at the beginning of the volume and two at the end). I haven't been able to find any regularity to the books layout.
In addition, a handful of the leaves containing text have page numbers. These designate the page numbers in the chapter, not the book, and do not take the blank leaves and leaves of plates into account.
I am trying to come up with a way to reflect this clearly in the extent subfield using DCRM(B) without creating a long, convoluted 300 $a (although, I may not be able to avoid this). I will probably need to add a 500 note as well.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how they would handle this?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Chris
Christopher S. Dieckman, M.L.I.S.
Metadata & Cataloging Librarian