[DCRM-L] Records for Extra-illustrated Copies

Ross, Staci L STR51 at pitt.edu
Thu Jul 25 15:18:28 MDT 2019

Hello,

Asking on behalf of my colleague who is seeking information on how rare books catalogers handle Grangerized/ extra-illustrated copies. We found a 2013 thread on provenance evidence terms that distinguishes between extra illustrated copies vs. insertions. However, we are curious about what policies rare books catalogers employ for determining whether to 1) accept an existing record for the edition with local notes, or 2) create an original record for the copy in hand.

For context, the edition of our in hand copy closely matches the record with OCLC no. 228707319 (extent: lx, 383 pages, plates : portraits ;  19 cm). However, our copy has so many extra illustrations that it is bound in two volumes. She found a library's catalog entry that shows one record for the edition with local notes about additional illustrations - even when extent drastically differed between copies.

We are grateful for any information you may provide.

Best,
Staci

---
Staci Ross