[DCRM-L] Agenda for ACRL RBMS Technical Services Discussion Group -- ALA Annual, Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 -- 2:30 - 3:30 PM

Whitney A Buccicone bucciw at uw.edu
Tue Jun 11 11:21:39 MDT 2019

ACRL RBMS Technical Services Discussion Group

ALA Annual 2019 Meeting

Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 -- 2:30 - 3:30 PM

Location: Marriott Marquis, Room DuPont Circle

Co-Conveners: Amy Tims and Whitney Buccicone

Please note new time.

1. Introductions.

2. TSDG charge -- comments and vote

At ALA Midwinter, we asked for feedback to update the TSDG charge. We then solicited comments on the revised charge, reproduced below:

To provide an open forum for presentation and discussion of any topic or issue involving rare materials or special collections technical services.

3. Usage of MARC 340 $$m<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/concise/bd340.html> for recording book format.

As institutions are looking at making cataloging policies "more linked data friendly", having an element for bibliographic format seems like a good idea.  What is your institution doing on this subject? Are you using the 340 $m? What are the pros and cons?

4. Rare materials cataloging standards and guidance

Guest conveners Elizabeth Hobart and Michelle Mascaro, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee Policy Statement Sub-Group

Following the release beta version of the post-3R RDA Toolkit, the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee is considering our own descriptive cataloging standards. We are interested in learning more from catalogers about the descriptive standards you use and the guidance you seek for rare materials and special collections cataloging. Are you using RDA? If not, what standards are you using, and why? Do you use the DCRM manuals? How do you access -- and how would you prefer to access -- cataloging tools? What tools or standards would you like to see from RBMS to make your work easier?

5. Topics from the floor.

6. Announcements.

Whitney Buccicone
Special Collections Cataloging Librarian | University of Washington Libraries
bucciw at uw.edu<mailto:bucciw at uw.edu> | pronouns: she/her/hers
CAMS: 206-543-1828| Special Collections: 206-543-3803