[DCRM-L] Determining bibliographical format

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Jun 14 12:11:37 MDT 2019

Format = Spine height is not just in recon records. There seems to be a
recently initiated program (centered I know not where) of wholesale
insertion into OCLC records of 340 rda "format" fields, which are clearly a
reversion to this ancient and (for rare catalogers) potentially highly
misleading descriptive practice. It would seem to be a device for assigning
shelving locations, which are in many places given as 12mo, 8vo , 4to,
folio. This has nothing to do with the printing format, especially with
respect to modern books which may really be e.g. 32mo in 8s or some such
thing.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>