[DCRM-L] False vs Fictitious imprints...

Jeff Barton jpbarton at Princeton.EDU
Mon Jun 17 15:50:48 MDT 2019

An interesting discussion!

Looking at the Printing & Pub terms now, I see there’s no gloss for either term.  (I know those are generally in progress so my point is not to find a fault, where none exists, but to point out a lack of guidance in for catalogers puzzling over these terms (as are a lot of us on this thread!)  What’s a poor, harried, overworked cataloger to do?  I’ll leave that question to wiser heads…

The distinction between “false” and “fictitious” really does seem to lead down the rabbit hole… What’s “fictitious” and what’s “false?”  Pooh Corner seems “fictitious” to me (I think), because no bibliographer (or adult reader) would think that’s a real place—would they?  Perhaps same thing, in this context, with Phila and Ephesus?  Would a book-buyer actually think the book was created in Ephesus?  So, I’d vote with “fictitious,” as I would with Utopia Wonderland, Narnia, etc.

I know Ephesus is a real place, but it’s a fabled one, like Byzantium or Constantinople, which some have claimed as places for their books or writings to (falsely?) claim authority or lend credence or authority to their publication or writing.

But suppose the imprint says, “House of Children” or something like that?  That *could* be *either* a nudge-nudge inside joke, or an attempt to disguise actual publication.   For a  pirated edition maybe? (e.g a “London” imprint actually issued in Dublin).  How can a cataloger know, without a side-career doing research?  Help!

OK, I made up “House of Children” above, but what about the following imprints from actual Cotsen Library books:

“Printed for Tabart and Co. at the Juvenile and School Library”

“Se vend chez Tabart et Co., a la Biblioteque d'Education”

“Sold by … and all other booksellers in Great Britain and Ireland”

“Juvenile and School Library” … ,”la Biblioteque d'Education,” “… all other booksellers in Great Britain and Ireland”?  How do we know if the first two are real places or production sites or not?  And is the  claim of “all other booksellers” at all valid, or just puffery?  (Maybe there are no other, or maybe just one or two other booksellers.  It’s hard to say.)  Yes, I know I’m talking about imprints, not places per se, immediately above, but I guess my broad question is are the places where these booksellers, printers, etc., claim to be sited on the TP, colophon, pub. advert., actual places or not?

I guess we need to think about and define terms like “fictitious” or “false”?   Maybe the distinction is somehow essentially about whether or not the intent (however we can get at that question) is to deceive, mislead, or confuse?  Pooh Corner doesn’t seem to deceive.  Nor I think does Ephesus?

But on the other hand, as someone already pointed out, in Reformation Europe a printer or bookseller might well want to murky the waters intentionally.  So a “Catholic” catechism or book printed in a Catholic country might specify location as “England,” or some Protestant country/city?  Or one printed and sold in England cite a foreign location and to also deliberately muddle printer / bookseller, location, etc… to avoid Walsingham’s boys paying a visit.  And vice versa for Protestant catechism or books printed and distributed in a Catholic country for distribution there?  Thus, a “false” imprints and locations?

Not sure if it would be false or fictitious if someone cited “Eden,” or the “Garden of Paradise” as places or “Sons of Adam” or “Daughters of Eve” as responsible parties?  But I’ll leave that question to others…

An interesting thread, this.  Sorry to have gone on for so long in my interest!

Jeff B

Jeff Barton
Cotsen Children’s Library
Rare Books & Special Collections