[DCRM-L] Actual format and 340 rdabf format

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed May 8 10:16:00 MDT 2019

I'm suddenly seeing 340 format fields added to records for modern books. I
know what *we* think format is, and when it can actually be determined and
when not, but this looks like a revival of "format" as a size designation.
So, the 1926 first ed. of *The Sun Also Rises* is indeed *sewn* in 8s, but
I'd bet anything it's 32mo or something like that, not printed in 8s.

So what does "340 $m 8vo. $2 rdabf" actually signify in (for example) OCLC
#284621? Does anyone in our circle know how rdabf is being determined, and
by whom? Not by any of my RBS graduates, I suspect/hope.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>