[DCRM-L] CMOS 17 and spelling

Mascaro, Michelle mmascaro at ucsd.edu
Tue May 28 11:06:54 MDT 2019

Very interesting...I checked RDA and A.10 General Guideline for English Language Capitalization begins with

"The guidelines for English-language capitalization basically follow those of The Chicago Manual of Style. When guidelines differ, they have been modified to conform to the requirements of bibliographic records and long-standing cataloguing practice."

The instructions and examples in RDA A.11.5 Titles Following a Name or Used Alone in Place of a Name match AACR2 practice versus the current CMOS outlined below.  At first glance, A.11.5 was carried over into the Beta Toolkit.  So the continuation of those practices is not limited to the DCRM world.

Thanks for sharing,

Michelle

Michelle Mascaro
Head, Special Collections Metadata