[DCRM-L] Question about missing pages at end of book

Jones, Angela arjones at mail.smu.edu
Fri Nov 1 10:41:34 MDT 2019

Hello,

The SMU Law Library is cataloging a book published in 1662, Plaidoyez de Mre. Claude Expilly, Chevalier, Conseiller du Roy an son conseil d'état, & presidant au Parlemant de Grenoble …

There seem to be one or more missing pages at the end of our copy of this book. It probably isn’t too many; the end of the book is an index and the last entries are in the Vs. The last page of our copy of does have a catchword at the bottom of the page, and does not include “Finis” or other indication that it is the end of the book.

I know that according to DCRMB 5B12, we should record the last numbered or last unnumbered page followed by “+ pages”, along with a note that the description is based on an incomplete copy.  Based on this rule, I believe that my 300 field subfield $a should be: [24], 580, [74+] pages

However, I’m not certain how to reflect these missing pages in the signature statement. I don’t see any equivalent notes in chapter 7 about missing signatures, unless I am missing something. Do I simply record what I have, and then make sure that the note regarding missing page(s) at the end includes the fact that there may be missing leaves in the last gathering? Or is the basic note for missing page(s) sufficient?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Angela

Angela Jones
Head of Technical Services
Underwood Law Library, Dedman School of Law
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750354
Dallas, TX 75275-0354
214-768-1827