[DCRM-L] Brackets or no brackets?

Bob Kosovsky bobkosovsky at nypl.org
Mon Oct 28 12:35:57 MDT 2019

Hi Deborah,

This is a well-known publication from an extremely well-known music
publisher.  I would not consider option 3.  I'm not up on the bibliographic
history of Apollo's Banquet, but I wonder if you could determine the
edition that you have.  That would enable you to determine what should be
in the title page transcription.  At least in OCLC, none of the editions
begin with the words "A tutor for the violin" but rather with the title
"Apollo's banquet."

Speaking of which, I would use option 2 - putting the 245 in square
brackets,  with ample 500s explaining the lack of title page and my
justification for choosing or not choosing a specific edition.

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
Music & Recorded Sound Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts - Dorothy and Lewis B.
Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023

www.nypl.org