[DCRM-L] Brackets or no brackets?

Patrick Crowley pcrowley4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 12:47:57 MDT 2019

Hi!

I would rule out Option 1, as I think that, even if the title as
transcribed in the advertisements is a faithful transcription of the title
printed on the missing title page, it cannot record any mistakes or quirks
on the title page.

I think Option 3 is perhaps overly cautious, especially if you could
confirm that a couple of the other advertised titles are close
transcriptions of their title page. That rests on the others being
cataloged and your having access in person or to scans; I've not looked
into how available they are. Again, I think that kind of research would
mainly be warranted if you really wanted to rest easy. (I would probably
end up spending a little time on this, just to set my Lawful Good brain at
ease).

Option 2 seems to me the most pragmatic. It seems very likely that this
transcription is going to be fairly authoritative, not lease because of its
lengthy specificity. That's a good amount of type to set for an inaccurate
title page. And, absent the title page, this is a good and believable
title. So I think you are safe transcribing from that and adding
appropriate descriptive notes.

FWIW,

--
Patrick Crowley (he/they)
Librarian for Metadata and Digital Projects
pcrowley4 at gmail.com