[DCRM-L] Question for Cataloguing Departments

Alice Hanes ahanes at Hagley.org
Thu Oct 31 08:56:35 MDT 2019

Great question, Estelle!  Off the top of my head, I have three ideas.  We use Co-Libri as well, and I find myself saving the larger trimmings and repurposing them as "sleeves" for small pieces of ephemera, such as a receipt or coupon that accompanies a trade catalog.  Also, I routinely stock my desktop printer with sheets of paper that have already been used on one side, and I send my jobs that require a fresh sheet out to the network printer; this gives a second life to many of the workforms I encounter.  And last, we tend to turn off the overhead lights when we vacate the work space in our department for an extended period, such as during a lunch break or shift on the Reference Desk.  Come to think of it, the motion-sensors installed in our closed Stacks help minimize the use of electrical lighting there as well.   Thanks for starting the conversation.  I look forward to other responses that may improve our awareness and practice of environmental conservation.
PS
At our institution, we collect dead batteries of all sizes in a bin conveniently located near our mail center so that they may all be recycled appropriately.  I even bring my own AA's from home!

Alice H. Hanes
Technical Services Librarian
Hagley Museum and Library
298 Buck Road East
Wilmington, DE 19807-0630
(302) 658-2400 x234
________________________________
From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> on behalf of Estelle Markel-Joyet <emarkel-joyet at amphilsoc.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:05 AM
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] Question for Cataloguing Departments

Hi, folks!

Here at the APS, we're trying to do what we can to eliminate waste and to be more aware of our affect on the environment. I'm representing the cataloguing department and have been tasked with this question: "Please think specifically about your department and identify areas of improvement, small or big. Bring these ideas to our next meeting."

Other than making sure we recycle, I can't think of anything the cataloguing department can do. We use Co-libri wrappings on some of our books, which is a petroleum product, but I don't know of any viable alternatives. What would you all do, if posed with this question? Alternatively, have there been any actions in your institutions that you can share?

Thanks in advance, Estelle

--
Estelle Markel-Joyet, MLIS (she/hers)
Assistant Head of Cataloguing