[DCRM-L] Alma

Joshua Hutchinson jchutchi at uci.edu
Thu Sep 19 13:27:28 MDT 2019

>> Belinda-- Re *Hell's Angels*: Is there a circulating dead-tree copy of the book in any UCSC library? If so, what's the trick? I tried various searches and came up with Special Collections holdings only (including an "everything" search).

You can get there in 3 clicks:
1) use the facets on the right. Click on 'Location'
2) Click on 'General Collection 3rd and 4th floors'
3) Click on '4 versions found, see all versions' for "Hell's Angels; a strange and terrible saga"

There are two copies in the McHenry Library General Collection at HV6489.C2 T48 1967 and HV6489.C2 T48 1967c

>> In addition to the comments noted above, my chief complaint regarding Alma is an overarching lack of control over indexing MARC fields. Alma indexes the fields that it has decided to index, and you cannot add indexes for anything else. This is specifically problematic for libraries that have relied on unavailable fields, such as the 79x, to track local data.

However, there is quite a bit of flexibility within Alma to define your own indexes within the 9xx fields. For instance, at my library we have created an 'Order information' index to search the 980 $c, which is where our GOBI invoice number goes; we have a Millennium BibID index to search our record identifiers from our previous system, which are stored in another 9xx field; and we have defined an index to search electronic resource package names, which we put in the 973 (they are copied from the 793-- both are locally defined fields, and we really don't need to perpetuate this duplication, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything).

Josh

Cataloging & Metadata Services Department (Monographs)
UCI Libraries
University of California, Irvine
Irvine CA  92623-9557

Science Library Room 327 - (949) 824-8938
jchutchi at uci.edu