[DCRM-L] Question about tracings for persons designated as assigns

Jones, Angela arjones at mail.smu.edu
Fri Apr 24 10:38:56 MDT 2020

Hello,

Several of us at the SMU law library are using this time of working remotely to enhance some of our rare book records, particularly those cataloged earlier in our rare books cataloging project, when we weren't doing as much true rare book cataloging. One of the enhancements we are doing is adding tracings for printers, publishers, etc.

We have run into publishing statements that include statements about assigns. One example: Printed by the assigns of R. and E. Atkins, for Samuel Keble. In looking at some records in OCLC, I have also seen statements such as: printed by W. Rawlins, S. Roycroft, and H. Sawbridge, assigns of Richard and Edward Atkins Esquires. For Samuel Keble ...

Are the persons designated as assigns generally traced? If so, I assume the correct relator term would be assignee.

What are others doing in situations such as this?

Thanks in advance!
Angela

Angela Jones
Head of Technical Services