[DCRM-L] Question about tracings for persons designated as assigns

Wed Apr 29 14:48:29 MDT 2020

Hi Angela,

This community decided some time ago to treat assigns, heirs, and the like as corporate bodies. It became incorporated into the LC Rule Interpretations, but if I remember correctly, did not make it into the LC/PCC Policy Statements. Browse the LC/NACO authority file for corporate names beginning with 'Assigns' and you'll see the pattern.

This consensus was documented in the first and only "BSC rule interpretation," with also covered how to establish printers' widows. Both became enshrined in the LCRI's in different chapters, and the the document was apparently removed from our website once it was picked up by LC. I wonder if we can track it down, or reconstruct it from the RI's. (I have too many projects just now to take it on ...)
______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS (she/her) | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | djleslie at folger.edu | www.folger.edu

________________________________
From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> on behalf of Jones, Angela <arjones at mail.smu.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 12:38
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] Question about tracings for persons designated as assigns

Hello,

Several of us at the SMU law library are using this time of working remotely to enhance some of our rare book records, particularly those cataloged earlier in our rare books cataloging project, when we weren’t doing as much true rare book cataloging. One of the enhancements we are doing is adding tracings for printers, publishers, etc.

We have run into publishing statements that include statements about assigns. One example: Printed by the assigns of R. and E. Atkins, for Samuel Keble. In looking at some records in OCLC, I have also seen statements such as: printed by W. Rawlins, S. Roycroft, and H. Sawbridge, assigns of Richard and Edward Atkins Esquires. For Samuel Keble …

Are the persons designated as assigns generally traced? If so, I assume the correct relator term would be assignee.

What are others doing in situations such as this?

Thanks in advance!

Angela

Angela Jones

Head of Technical Services