[DCRM-L] Estates as personal vs. corporate donor name

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Wed Aug 5 11:04:28 MDT 2020

Hello all,

For the purposes of local access points for donors, if the source of
information indicates that an item was the gift of a person's estate, would
you record the individual person, or the estate as a corporate body?

For example, some items I am cataloging have either library-supplied
bookplates or card-catalog records saying:

"Gift of the Geraldine Carmalt Estate"

I also find the statement "Gift of the Estate of Geraldine Woolsey Carmalt"
related to several items on the Yale University Art Gallery website.

Which access point would you use?

700 1_ Carmalt, Geraldine Woolsey, $d 1875-1967, $e donor. $5 NNC
710 2_ Geraldine Woolsey Carmalt Estate, $e donor. $5 NNC

I would have probably defaulted to using a personal name, but I do find a
few "Estate of" headings in the NAF.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries