[DCRM-L] Estates as personal vs. corporate donor name

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:40:07 MDT 2020

If the documentation says "Estate of", I'd use:

710 2_ Geraldine Woolsey Carmalt Estate, $e donor. $5 NNC

We have a few instances where both are the case: donor explicitly left "x"
and "y" to the Folger in their will, but they didn't say anything in the
will about "z".  Later, his executors said "Hey, we're sending x and y to
you..... do you also want z? Or should we throw it away?"  Items x and y
get the personal name as former owner, item z gets the name of the estate.
I don't know what the legal implications are, I just see it as important
for provenance research: Firstname Lastname *knew *x and y would go to the
Folger, but z was someone else's decision.

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>