[DCRM-L] Help with problem subject heading

Jane Wickenden jane.wickenden at zen.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 12:49:12 MDT 2020

Hi Bob and Nina,

I wonder if, in order to make the term more universal (especially given
that the concept seems to have originated in Europe - although Rousseau
never used the phrase, not even in French), "Indigenous peoples -
Stereotypes (Social psychology)" would be better?

Geographical and / or historical sub-fields could be added as wished.

Best wishes,

Jane
(basking in [stereo]typical grey British summer)

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 19:13, Bob Kosovsky <bobkosovsky at nypl.org> wrote:

> Hi Nina,
>
> What about: "Indians of North America" combined with "Stereotypes (Social
> psychology) $v United States" ?
>
> All the best,
>
> Bob
>

> Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
> Music & Recorded Sound Division
> The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts - Dorothy and Lewis
> B. Cullman Center
>
> 40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023
>
> www.nypl.org
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM Schneider, Nina <nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know some of you are belong to the Facebook group to which I posted
>> this question last night. I thought I should ask this group since, although
>> not necessarily a rare books question, probably comes up more frequently in
>> special collections.
>>
>> Has anyone found a workaround for the LCSH term “Noble savage” that
>> retains the concept/idea of the term without actually using it?
>>
>> Strangely, there’s been faculty pushback about eliminating the subject
>> heading from our records altogether, which is my preferred option.
>>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> Nina
>>
>> +---------------
>> Nina M. Schneider
>> Rare Books Librarian
>> William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, UCLA
>> 2520 Cimarron Street
>> Los Angeles, CA  90018
>> (310) 794-5780
>>
>> nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu