[DCRM-L] Help with problem subject heading

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 7 14:08:25 MDT 2020

I see LCSH also has "Noble savage in literature" as a separate heading. So
if a work is about that literary trope/stock character, perhaps:

Indigenous peoples in literature [or art, motion pictures, opera, popular
culture]

Or if it's about the use of such stock characters by a specific author,
e.g.

Burroughs, Edgar Rice, $d 1875-1950 $x Characters $x Indigenous peoples.

A lot of similar named stock character types or stereotypes don't seem to
be established in LCSH, but insofar as there is any remaining literary
warrant for the current terminology as a named stereotype with works about
it, maybe the existing LCSHs could be revised to call it what it is more
specifically, perhaps along the lines of a few others I see in LCSH (Model
minority stereotype, Strong black woman stereotype), e.g.:

Replace 150: $a Noble savage stereotype
Add 550: ǂw g ǂa Stereotypes (Social psychology)

Replace 150: $a Noble savage stereotype in literature
Add 550: $a Indigenous peoples in literature

Matthew

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 3:15 PM Schneider, Nina <nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Jane,
>

> Thank you! Ironically, all of the titles that had Noble Savage in the
> subject headings in our catalog were by Rousseau!
>

> I will discuss this option with my colleagues.
>

> Nina

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries
matthew.haugen at columbia.edu | 212-851-2451 | he/him/his