[DCRM-L] signature question

Jennifer Dunlap jrdunlap7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 14:05:18 MST 2020

Hello,

I'm working on a signature statement and have encountered something I've
never run into before: an unsigned gathering, which can be inferred as
[par.] (see below). My gut tells me to use double square brackets, but I
could find no examples of this situation in Bowers, Gaskell, DCRM-B, or in
the DCRM-L archives.  I am hoping the collective wisdom may have some best
practices guidance.

Gathering 1 is unsigned, gatherings 2 and 3 are signed 2 ⁋
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%81%8B> and 3 ⁋
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%81%8B>. Obviously we can infer the first
gathering as [par.]. Would it be appropriate in this instance to use a
second set of square brackets to designate the first gathering as unsigned:

Signatures: [[par.]]⁴ 2[par.]⁴ 3[par.]² A-2B⁴ 2C⁶.

Or to use a single set of brackets and add a note that the first gathering
is unsigned?

Signatures: [par.]⁴ 2[par.]⁴ 3[par.]² ... ; gathering [par.] is unsigned.
(alternatively:  first gathering unsigned).

The book in question is:
Alcazar y Zuñiga, Melchor de. *Arte de esquadronar, y exercicios de la
infanteria* (1703)

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

*Jennifer Dunlap*