[DCRM-L] Fw: Machine-press special collections

Piscitelli, Felicia A f-piscitelli at library.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 9 11:43:19 MDT 2020

From: Piscitelli, Felicia A

Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:18 PM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Post-1830 materials I've cataloged or am working on here at the Cushing Library at Texas A  & M University:

Although the majority of items in our Colonial Mexican Collection were printed during the actual colonial period (between 1539 and 1821), there are a number of things published or produced later in the 19th century: prayer and devotional books, political pamphlets, passports, a couple of early Mexican cookbooks (!), military proclamations pertaining to the Mexican War (1846-1848) and the European Intervention (186, with Maximilian as emperor (1861-1867).

Overlapping with this later history of Mexico, I've cataloged documents relating to the early history of Texas, and modern books for  the Floyd & Louise Chapman Texas and Borderlands Collection.

Books on ranching, animal husbandry, range land management, cowboy lore (including collections of cowboy songs) for the Jeff Dykes Collection. Of particular interest is a selection of gaucho literature from Argentina and Uruguay.

Most of books and serials in the Lee Fontanella Collection of 19th-century Spanish Literature, consisting of then-popular novels (like telenovelas without the "tele"), translated works mainly from contemporaneous French literature, and s collection of over 600 plays called "comedias sueltas".  This literature and its authors are largely forgotten today,br the moshs ; however, the collection is significant because it shows what ordinary, literate but non-elite Spaniards were reading during a century of great social, political, and economic upheaval in Spain.

Sheet music from roughly the 1890's to 1940's on African-American, African-Caribbean (some are in French),  and Jewish-American subjects, once popular but today would be unacceptable or inappropriate.

Assorted items for various collections--literature (modern translations and editions of Cervantes's works for Eduardo Urbina Collection; Bloombury group authors for J. Lawrence Mitchell Collection; French-language materials for the Roger Asselineau Collection devoted to Walt Whitman);  Military Science (especially First World War), Science Fiction,  Africana Studies, etc.

Hope this helps,

Felicia Piscitelli, M.M., M.L.S.
Associate Professor
Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloger and Italian Resources Librarian
Cushing Memorial Library & Archives
Texas A&M University
f-piscitelli at library.tamu.edu

5000 TAMU | College Station, TX  77843