[DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Myers, John myersj at union.edu
Wed Jul 8 10:51:14 MDT 2020

Ostensibly, I am the rare books cataloger for my institution, although the
main hat I wear is oversight of cataloging production for the general
collection.

For the materials I catalog into our Special Collections and Archives
collections that are post-1830, these are the typical categories, not
ranked:

   - Fine press editions
   - Artists books (less so now, following retirement of the selector)
   - College publications
   - Subject material on the college (including publications by faculty and
   alumni, although this is being reviewed)
   - Subject material on Schenectady
   - Subject material on Audubon's Birds of North America
   - Random, obscure titles gifted to the library

Also, I have recently discovered a cluster of obscure legacy items in our
general collection that will need to be assessed for reclassification into
rare books. These include theater publications from the 1840s and
engineering publications from the 1850s-1870s (including European
publications on railroads).

And while not generally subject to current cataloging, our Special
Collections and Archives includes several subcollections comprising the
libraries or specialized collections from prominent donors that feature
post 1830 publications.

John Myers, Catalog & Metadata Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
Schenectady NY 12308

518-388-6623
myersj at union.edu