[DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Patrick Crowley pcrowley4 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:48:52 MDT 2020

Hey,

I've cataloged post-18th c. material at a number of institutions and it's
really interesting the character of the institution that comes through in
these holdings no less than in the handpress material.

At Bryn Mawr:

   - Women's Suffrage & Education
   - World Fair and Exposition materials
   - Children's books
   - Early- to mid-20th century materials on african urbanizations,
   including maps, guidebooks, governmental reports, tourism packets, etc.
   - Materials surrounding Dorothy Vernon and Haddon Hall, including
   libretti of a light opera on the subject.
   - Artist's books
   - 19th and 20th century cook books
   - Late-19th century material on the Ashanti War
   - Gift Books
   - Jules Verne

At Princeton:

   - 1980s artist books (the Letterist pieces were an especially fun
   challenge to try and fit into our descriptive standards)
   - A full run of the Picture Post
   - A full run of a low production art journal (including mimeographed
   issues and mockups) from a Dutch artist's collective
   - Mid-20th century avant garde Czech art journals
   - Early-20th century Art Deco pattern books

At the Redwood Library:

   - Early croquet rule books (including one from the 1850s published by
   the Newport Croquet Club)
   - Early-20th century poetry
   - Newportiana from 1820-the present
   - Material related to the Dorr Rebellion
   - Yachting

At Southern CT State, I'm still getting a feel. But there has been an
effort to collect 19th century bindings which need some extra description,
I think. And there's a collection of 19th to early-20th c. children's books
and pamphlets that needs to be cataloged. I look forward to someday getting
back into the stacks to work. Until then...

Thanks for this discussion! It's lovely to hear what others have worked
on/continue to work on.

Best!

--
Patrick Crowley (he/they)
Metadata Librarian for Cataloging and Digital Projects
pcrowley4 at gmail.com