[DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Bob Kosovsky bobkosovsky at nypl.org
Wed Jul 8 12:38:57 MDT 2020

For the past few months I've been cataloging a collection of over 200
songsters, primarily American, the bulk of them from about 1850-1890.
Unlike most entries that I'm able to find in Worldcat, I am making sure I
add contents notes for each song text (noting the few instances that
contain musical notation).

Because of the fragility of many of these publications, I'm making ample
use of the University of Pittsburgh's extensively digitized collection,
although one must look carefully for different "editions" or pagination.

And if anyone doubts the racism rampant in the second half of the 19th
century, one need not go further than a typical American songster.

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
Music & Recorded Sound Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts - Dorothy and Lewis B.
Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023

www.nypl.org