[DCRM-L] Source of title in 588?

Cawelti, Andrea cawelti at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 22 13:08:29 MDT 2020

Greetings, fellow catalogers, I recently heard a recommendation to use the 588 field for notes along the lines of "Title supplied by cataloger," a common note in special collections cataloging. It would be useful to have a specific 500 note for this kind of information, but I was under the impression in the 588 was only for serials use. Do folks think this field is appropriate for graphics, collections, monographs, etc., without indicators? I have asked among music colleagues on the Music OCLC Users' Group, and received a resounding yes. Is anyone here using the 588 for this kind of note? Had any experiences with the note not displaying in local catalogs, etc.? What have you learned if you are using this note, that you think others should know?
Thoughts/complaints/recriminations?
Thank you for your guidance, andrea
 --
Andrea Cawelti (Ms.)