[DCRM-L] Source of title in 588?

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:52:13 MDT 2020

I'd be wary of using 588 for a source-of-title note for DCRM(G) -- it's not
specific to "source of title" (so has no advantage for mapping or display),
and it's defined for administrative rather than public use (" Information
used for tracking and controlling the metadata contained in the record. It
includes general and specific source of description notes that are
especially of interest to other catalogers. " )

The reason for the mandatory source-of-title note in DCRM(G) isn't just so
you can tell other catalogers how you got there, it's so that researchers
know where the title came from, and we want it to be right there as the
first note.

Unlike an art museum, where devised titles are the norm, an art cataloger
in a library will transcribe what's on the piece, even if it's deeply
offensive. "Title transcribed from lower margin" (for example) needs to be
loud-and-clear. Likewise, "Title devised by Folger cataloger" or "Title
from Pennington" [with a 510 for Pennington] is important, so people know
how widely known (or not) that title might be.

EB.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>