[DCRM-L] Source of title in 588?

Julie Moore julie.renee.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:28:33 MDT 2020

Hi All!

I just wanted to chime in on this. As the Task Force Chair, I was part of a
long discussion (in the OLAC Objects Best Practices Task Force) about
trying to find a better spot for the "Title devised by cataloger" note that
would be more specific than the 500 field. After much deliberation, we
decided that the 588 (Source of Description) was a better (more precise)
spot than the 500 field. This issue was sent up to our advisors and also on
up through OLAC CAPC (Cataloging Policy Committee), and they OLAC CAPC
agreed after much further discussion. While it is true that the 588 is most
commonly used in describing serials, there is nothing that says that it
cannot be used in describing other formats.
https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd588.html

You can see the 588 0_ used throughout the examples in the latest Best
Practices for Cataloging Objects Using RDA and MARC 21 published in January
2020.
https://www.olacinc.org/sites/default/files/OLAC_Objects_BestPractices_22Jan2020.pdf

Kind regards,
Julie Moore
Special Collections Catalog Librarian
Fresno State

--
Julie Renee Moore
julie.renee.moore at gmail.com
559-278-5813

“Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from
themselves.”... James Matthew Barrie