[DCRM-L] Question on Specially Issued Copies

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman dezel002 at umn.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:30:38 MDT 2020

We would catalog as a separate edition. If you are cataloging in OCLC, you
may need to add 250 $$a [Deluxe edition] in order to prevent the records
from being merged.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 8:18 AM Graham Skinner <skinner at bostonathenaeum.org>
wrote:

> Howdy all y'all,
>
> I'm sending on this question, after an inhouse discussion of whether a
> recent acquisition should go on an existing record, which describes a
> single volume, or a new record should be created to reflect our copy.
>

> The item in hand is *An alphabet of extinct mammals. *Our copy of the
> volume was issued in a specially designed case containing 2 portfolios of
> artist's proofs (prints) of illustrations in the book and 2 copper printing
> plates. The volume was issued by the Chevington Press in an edition of 55.
> Their website states that deluxe copies of their works are available,
> although our copy does not have a marking (if one exists) to state that as
> such.
>

> Does the inclusion of the accompanying material and the fact it was issued
> in this manner justify the creation of a new record or should I augment the
> record for the single volume to reflect our copy?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Graham Skinner
>
> --
> Graham Skinner
> [pronouns: They/Them/Their]
> Rare Materials Catalog Librarian
> Boston Athenæum
> 10½ Beacon Street
> Boston, MA 02108
> 617-227-0270 ext. 257
> www.bostonathenaeum.org

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Metadata and Emerging Technologies Librarian | University of Minnesota
Libraries
160 Wilson Library | 309 19th Ave. S. | Minneapolis, MN 55455
dezel002 at umn.edu | (612) 625-0381
she, her, hers