[DCRM-L] Signature question: a second thought

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Jun 16 13:42:11 MDT 2020

Margaret's solution is a good one. Bowers deals with something like this
situation at the top of page 224, his notation using parens: A-L^4 (MN)^4
O-R^4 and (AB)^4 C-T^4. So there's choice, but either way it's best to use
words to explain the anomaly. It's likely a sign of divided or
non-sequential printing, of course, where it wasn't possible to
calculate exactly how many gatherings would eventually be needed, filling
out the sequence so as not to send the binder on a goose chase after
non-existent gatherings.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>