[DCRM-L] OCLC Connexion / WorldCat indexing of MARC 510 field

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Fri Sep 4 07:21:19 MDT 2020

Hi all.

I had a brief but useful email exchange with Jay Weitz yesterday about the MARC 510 field. In its current setup (as confirmed by Jay), OCLC does not index the field<https://help.oclc.org/Librarian_Toolbox/Searching_WorldCat_Indexes/Fields_and_subfields/5xx_fields>, with a niche exception for SCIPIO<https://help.oclc.org/Librarian_Toolbox/Searching_WorldCat_Indexes/Indexes/Indexes_A_to_C/Citation_SCIPIO_specific> records.

It sounds like OCLC would be willing to consider a change. Jay says it would be useful to have a collective indication of interest from the RBMS community (perhaps endorsed by BSC), illustrated by use cases.

Would others support such a change in OCLC? If so, can you share sample use cases, for researchers or for staff?

I'll start with my own use case: to facilitate aspects of cataloging activity, I'd like to find all records in OCLC that have a 510 citation to the J.R. Abbey catalogs<https://rbms.info/scf/?s=abbey+aquatint> and are associated with online resources (e.g. HathiTrust).

Keen to hear others.

Thanks,
Francis

Ps. This issue has appeared before on DCRM-L<https://listserver.lib.byu.edu/pipermail/dcrm-l/2016-September/004890.html> (with a variation on local indexing here<https://listserver.lib.byu.edu/pipermail/dcrm-l/2018-October/thread.html#5556>).

Senior Catalogue Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>