[DCRM-L] OCLC Connexion / WorldCat indexing of MARC 510 field

Gina Solares gsolares at usfca.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:05:07 MDT 2020

Hi Francis,

Thanks for having that conversation with Jay! I've emailed OCLC Support
about this issue in the past and have often watched the conversations on
this topic here on DCRM-L.

Here at USF, we'd love to see this field indexed in OCLC. We are a Jesuit
institution and have done a variety of projects to enhance our records for
Jesuitica, relying heavily on Backer-Sommervogel, Carayon, and others as
references. It has been useful for internal collection development &
tracking, as well as demonstrating value to our parent organization.

Additionally, like many others, we have a variety of fine press materials
in our special collections. Our design faculty are often interested in
aspects of production, illustration, and contribution not tracked in common
bibliographic records. We've found that bibliographies of individual
printers, illustrators, or designers have been useful in surfacing this
material in our collections. If this field was indexed in OCLC, it would be
a very useful service to our librarians and patrons.

Best regards,
Gina

--
Gina Solares (she/hers)
Head of Cataloging and Metadata Management